Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Day: 60 My bad

Okay, you might recall I decided to split my indulgence and had already enjoyed a beer last Saturday, marked indulgence #2a. Tonight was the "official" indulgence, a media launch/restaurant opening in Vancouver. This would be indulgence #2b.

And indulge I did. (Beer? What beer?) Herewith, the list:

One glass white wine (crudely, I didn't even look to see what it was... but it was very, very, nice and the owners of the restaurant apparently have a family estate winery in Piemonte, Italy, Geordie).
One spoonful/slice each of several antipasti: eggplant, fungi, bocconcini, tomato, crostini, ham (looking for protein, not much happening). I am avoidng the cheese and cured meat tray as I fear it will kill me.
Two large slices of rosemary flatbread (fantastic).
Three tiny slices of pizza, mostly bread (stunning).

By now I've eaten a lot of starchy carbs and very little protein, and I am hungry enough to eat my right arm. I figure that I shouldn't eat any more bread, so I decide to have another glass of wine (yeah, good choice Einstein). Surprisingly, the wine is not very filling.

Oh look, here comes dessert.

One slice chocolate pizza (unbelievably minuscule and so delicious)
One scoopfull tiramisu (have to try, it's my job)
One quarter serving creme caramel (don't want to offend pastry chef, standing nearby)
Another slice of chocolate pizza (it's flatbread stuffed with Nuttela and it's warm for god's sake)
One strawberry (for cleansing purposes)

Time to go. I walked eight blocks in the rain to the organic market for proper PCP breakfast supplies (no longer trust myself to eat in cafe in the morning).

Back at the hotel, my jump rope is mocking me. It's 10pm and I am still starving. I have a slight headache, but nothing major. The food was really delicious but has done nothing to satiate me. I prefer my PCP meals.

Upon reflection, it was that second glass of wine that was my undoing. But I can't say that I regret the chocolate pizza... Obviously I am going to have to figure out how to be a food/wine writer/photog and still live the PCP. This is the lingering shadow currently hanging over me... On the way home I had to pick up a solid single origin 70% dark chocolate Easter bunny to photograph for an article tomorrow. He too is mocking me.

The hotel gym opens at 5am. My headache is actually getting worse.

But I am ready for day 61.

Not near perfect, but learning...

Big hugs,
C

5 comments:

  1. sounds like great choice of indulgence - i too found myself hungry soon after my indulgence #2 - my body's used to digesting food consistently throughout the day PLUS we just naturally prefer 'pcp' foods these days too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm salivating just reading that list! I know what you mean about apres pcp... it's all about balance though right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this sounds good! :) Sounds like you enjoyed it in spite of the headache.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Damn you blew that indulgence out of the water. LOVE IT.

    ReplyDelete