Wednesday, February 16, 2011

like night and day

Yesterday I blew it, hadn’t had enough sleep (5 hrs) and I work up sore and grumpy and still feeling behind on my deadlines… i.e. dangerous snack times. I didn’t feel I had time to workout in the morning so that got delayed until I filed my stories. By mid morning I was starving so I ate breakfast and snack close together, then I wanted to really snack the rest of the day… cheated by carving some carbs from lunch meal so I could eat a handful of corn chips (healthy corn chips, mind you, but who am I kidding?)

Then I could hardly get through all my lunch later in the afternoon, nearly wanted to hurl! Finally did my workout and did not enjoy it at all, was tired and sore and GRUMPY. Plus stomach ache. Drank some instant coffee and threw some cocoa in it, ran off to shoot another assignment. Stomach now killing me. Got home, filed those shots then collapsed in a heap until 8pm at which point I rustled up some supper grudgingly and at 9pm decided I would just call it a day and go to bed. Came back out and ate my snack first, after snapping at my one-true-love for eating the last of the yogurt.

Today I woke up after a full night’s sleep (8 hrs), raring to go, not sore, not grumpy, with just as many demands facing me but a much better attitude. Knocked off the workout by 7am (still a bit frustrated over the chest dips, but really no big-e, I’ll get there I think). Looking forward to doing 8-minute abs, when I next take a break.

I am starting to realize that I have probably been sleep deprived my entire freelance career which is around five years now. This may also explain why even though I used to workout hard and workout regularly I never felt (or looked) especially fit. Yesterday was very familiar. So often I felt stressed like that in the past: tired, sore, hungry and grumpy. I’d use snacks and even more workouts to get slight energy/endorphin lifts, but it was mostly short lived.

Poor body, I’ve been literally and figuratively wasting it.

Now that I am more aware of the benefits and committed to feeding, resting and tending my body more mindfully, I can’t wait to see how I feel at the end of PCP and beyond.

Keep the faith team!

6 comments:

  1. Way to bounce back Chris.... it is great to read that you are feeling and wanting to give your body some rest when it needs it... you were thinking at the start you couldnt get 8 hours in and now you want to make it a priority!!! Your muscles and definition are DEFINITELY starting to show already- keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad to hear things got good again - you are going to ace this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is amazing how sleep and proper rest in general affect not only the body but the mind. but i hear u on the demands of a freelance job (my sister is in the same field, she is a graphic designer). mad hours, esp close to the deadline! think ur doin awesome - and for laffs we can always count on the dude in the 8min abs video.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris, I can sympathize with you. Last night I snapped at my husband because he said I should have steamed more veggies so that he could have a snack too. If I have to cut up and prepare one more ounce of vegetables I'm gonna through the butcher knife at someone...
    Well, not exactly, but I did put honey in my tea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris - great turn around. Yes, same here on the sleep. I think sleep deprivation is more common than we all think. With all of us combining the tough PCP program to our already hectic schedules - it is sleep that allows it all to happen.

    Great blog - very inspiring. Thank you.

    @Heather: Patrick mentioned to me that a bit of honey now and then is OK.

    ReplyDelete