Grateful for Patrick's tips on sustaining a longer jumping practice. I have been trying to do two sets clean (clear of mind and trips) and then having a bit of fun on the last set, learning some tricks. The third set is my reward for getting through the first two! My tricks are not fancy but consist of a few cross-overs, jumping jacks, can-can step, boxer double-step and ski-mogul. As much as I like the quality of my Nike speed rope (I had destroyed three cheap ropes prior) it kills me that the Nike "rope" which is plastic, is still coiled so tightly (even after all these jumps). It makes the tricks difficult. I've tried stretching it, hanging it, pleading with it. So I am going to put it in the oven later (low heat) and see if I can break its springy spirit once and for all. Don't worry, I have a back-up rope in case this gets ugly.
Okay, you've got to see these moves... Floyd Mayweather Jr. I think I've finally found my fitness goal/calling. I really, really want to jump like that! So far, I can keep up to him to the 20-second mark of the video... haha. And, look at his face. Totally zoned out. Kickass!
Cool video.
ReplyDeleteI have the same rope and have used it every day since day 1. Yep, it still coils no matter what I've tried. Let me know if your trick works.
The nike rope will never uncoil. That's the "tangle proof" technology they advertise on the box. If you want to do tricks like in the video you need to get a standard old school rope.
ReplyDeleteI have the Nike rope also. But I have no desire to do more tricks....
ReplyDeletehahhaha cool vid
ReplyDeleteInteresting jumprope discussion here. I think my plastic one must have tangle proofing by way of explanation of me being pretty rubbish at doing cool things with it. Need to reinvest post PCP. till then, will persevere with Old Faithful who has got me this far.
ReplyDeleteGood on you for setting Pretty Boy Floyd as your benchmark. nobody does it better!
Update. In the end I could not bring myself to "just do it" and bake my Nike speed rope. It seemed too symbolic a gesture of non-acceptance... If it is meant to be coiled until the end of time, then I am not going to fight it. I am going to find out what kind of rope Flyod uses instead.
ReplyDelete